If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
If you are looking to up your game in photography or even to shoot videos that do not involve constant blurry content because you just cannot hold it still, a tripod is an answer to this predicament. Probably the first thing to get when trying to expand the accessories that will help you along the way, a tripod is the trusty partner to your camera.
A tripod, as the name suggests, is a structure of three legs that supports your camera to film or shoot hands-free. With the new types of content arising in the media, a tripod helps create content like no other.
Be it long-exposure photography or travel vlogging, a tripod will come to your rescue like no other camera accessory ever would. Now, this brings us the question of which tripod do I get for my Sony camera? This list compiles some of the best tripods for Sony cameras to help give you a push in the right direction.
- List of Best Tripods for Sony Cameras
List of Best Tripods for Sony Cameras
- Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod
- Joby Gorilla Pod 1K
- Rangers Ultra Compact Tripod
- MeFOTO Globe Trotter Tripod
- Patekfly 12 Inch Tripod
- Amazon Basics Lightweight Tripod
- Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod
- Mactrem PT55 Tripod
- Neewer Carbon Fiber Tripod
- ZOMEI Carbon Fibre Tripod
- MeFOTO Roadtrip Tripod
Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod
Over the last 30 years, Vanguard has garnered the reputation of being the most reliable brand for photographers worldwide looking for camera products and accessories. When Vanguard released the Alta Pro 263AP Tripod, the praises started pouring in like no other.
Considered to be the best tripod for DSLR cameras, the tripod consists of an innovative and functional design and is affordable making it the first choice for both professionals and beginners alike. The tripod is made up of high-quality aluminum with detachable legs that can later be reinserted at three different angles of choice – 20, 50, and 80 degrees
The tripod can be raised to a maximum height of approximately 70 inches and weighs in at 2.6kg, a bit on the heavier side. It consists of a pan head that can be detached with ease and the tripod comes with its own bag to carry it in.
· 360-rotational head; detachable
· Long greppable base plate
· Locking arm present to secure the detachable tripod head
· Aides in achieving difficult angles
· Secure grip, making it easy to handle the camera without the fear of damage
· Exposable spikes made to shoot in slippery grass and other surfaces
· Smooth track for panning a shot
· Consists of a swivel that locks and stops on command
· Button to completely separate the legs of the tripod
· Not easily portable
Joby Gorilla Pod 1K
Made up of stainless steel and ABS plastic, this lightweight tripod takes the cake for being the most versatile tripod you could possibly buy for your Sony camera. It allows you to shoot stable content while being able to trust the tripod for its secure support. Apart from being easy to carry around due to its lightweight, this tripod can surprise you with all the areas it can easily find grip on.
The Joby Gorilla Pod 1K consists of legs that can move and adjust in all directions; meaning you can shoot at the angle of your choice. This tripod is an excellent accessory to add to your collection for its uses are endless and it does not require a lot of attention.
The tripod can be a part of your travel crew as it can easily be packed and carried around. The flexible legs offer a new application where you can simply bring all the legs together to form a handgrip and shoot videos with yourself in it.
· Versatile and provides stability
· Unique design
· Facility to tilt and swerve in any direction
· Multiple sections per leg
· Excellent grip because of the rubber on the tips of the grip; can grip unusual areas as well
· Lightweight; weighs 196 grams
· Can be used to mount other devices such as speakers, lights, etc.
· Quick release mechanism
· 360 degrees rotatable head
· The maximum operating height is 25.5cm that might be considered a nit limiting
· Load capacity is also relatively low; the maximum load it can carry is1kg
· Does not come with a bag
Rangers Ultra Compact Tripod
Weighing in at 1.3kgs, this compact tripod is constructed with the sole purpose of traveling in mind. It is the perfect accompaniment to your DSLR camera for when you finally take that trip you have been dreaming of for years and do not want to miss a single bit of it. The weight is just right for easy portability without affecting its stability and the ability to support your camera.
The tripod can be extended to the maximum height of 1 meter and 40 centimeters making this the tallest height a tripod can reach up to so far. The Rangers Tripod extends to the minimum length of 38.5 centimeters. This design and structure make it easy to pack the tripod away and to carry it along in a bag on your many voyages.
The Rangers Ultra Compact Tripod is made up of aluminum making it secure and reliable. The tripod consists of 4 sections instead of the standard 3. This accessory has the ability to be completely transformed into a monopod; for this, it has to be detached from the rest of the parts giving it a single handle to be carried with.
· Ball head design
· Knob to release plate
· 360-degree rational system
· The camera can be tilted within the range of negative 45 degrees to positive 90 degrees
· Panning lock to loosen or tighten
· Quick release flip locks
· Single foam grip for comfortable handling in the wet climate
· No handles to pan or tilt the camera
· Danger of damage to the camera when adjusting the knobs on the tripod
MeFOTO Globe Trotter Tripod
Meant to be a reliable travel companion, this tripod is made up of aluminum meaning that not only is it lightweight, it is also strong and reliable. With a maximum height of 165 centimeters, each leg consists of five sections, and the maximum load capacity of the head and every leg is 12 kilograms each; quite a considerable amount.
· Leg inversion feature
· 2 locking leg angles
· Folds down to 41cm
· Exterior is constructed of aluminum
· Decent maximum extension height
· Each leg further extends out into five sections each
· The head can support 12 kilograms; this includes accessories such as microphones or even heavier DSLRs and projectors
· The legs can be detached in order to convert the tripod into a monopod
· Rubber pads at the bottom of the legs for maximum grip
· Metal spikes
· A padded bag to carry the tripod in
· Small carrying case
· No 360 degrees rotation system
· Leg angles are limiting
· Weighs 2kg; it is heavy for a travel-friendly tripod
Patekfly 12 Inch Tripod
If you could have a tripod that is marketed as being the perfect tripod for your specific camera, would you not love that? The Patekfly 12-inch tripod is the perfect companion for the Sony A5100 camera. Apart from that it also does well with DSLRs and the standard smartphone as well.
Made out of professional-grade silicone, this tripod is flexible and lightweight. Its unique design and exterior make it one of its kind. The tripod can be placed on any flat surface and it proceeds to support your camera with ease.
The Patekfly 12-inch tripod is flexible, reliable, and stable. It is compatible with almost any camera; be it Nikon, Canon, or Sony. Apart from that, it makes the laborious process of shooting lengthy videos a piece of cake.
· Highly durable; minimal wear and tear
· Can be twisted, tilted, and bent
· 360-degree rotational system
· Rubber pads at the bottom for grip
· Fabric padded legs to minimize damage
· Hard to carry around due to its design
· Can only be put on flat surfaces; not made for harsh conditions
· It does not have a quick-release mechanism
· Does not come with a bag to carry it
Amazon Basics Lightweight Tripod
Like the title itself promises, this tripod from Amazon is compact and weighs in at 1.234kgs. The Amazon Basics range is surprisingly very popular; it consists of all the basic requirements of a tripod but it also comes at an affordable price making it perfect for vloggers and beginners.
This tripod has a maximum height of 60 inches and a design that makes the structure stable and secure. This particular tripod is the result of learning from the likes and dislikes of individuals who have purchased and tried the popular tripods on their website.
The Amazon Basics Lightweight tripod’s exterior is surprisingly good in terms of quality given its highly discounted price. It also consists of certain parts made out of plastic that add to the lightweight promise it makes. When open, the tripod legs are effectively locked in order to support and protect the heavy gear placed on top.
· Capacity to carry a maximum weight of 3kgs
· Consists of two bubble levels
· A three-way head
· Tilt and swivel features
· Comfortable pan handle for fluid operation
· Easy extension of the tripod legs
· Each leg consists of two easy to operate flip locks
· Built-in carrying handle
· Comes with a carrying bag
· Consists of part made out of plastic
· Crank arm is not smoothly operatable
· In-between positioning of the legs is not possible
Manfrotto PIXI Mini Tripod
Weighing a mere 231.3 grams, this mini tripod is exactly that. Apart from being lightweight, it is also compact making it the perfect tabletop tripod for when you want to shoot something impromptu. The Manfrotto tripod has a loyal fan club that raves about what a good tripod this is to add to your accessories.
The design of this mini tripod is like no other, not only is it simple but it is also meant for functionality. At first glance, the design might seem unsettling but as you start using the tripod you see just how much thought was put into it.
The legs of the tripod are designed in such a way that the user can easily convert into a mono-hold by simply bunching all the legs together with your hands.
· Maximum height of the extension is 5.11 inches
· Rubberized base
· Button to loosen or lock the ball joint
· Quick and easy operation; speedy camera positioning
· Independent tripod legs
· Affordable; cheaper than its competitors
· No detachable plate
· Chances of damaging the camera when using the button to lock the ball joint; incremental locking mechanism is absent
Mactrem PT55 Tripod
This travel camera companion features a unique design mixed with a robust construction that showcases its stability and reliability as a tripod. This tripod comes heavily recommended by professionals impressed by its wide range of features that never fail to impress.
The Mactrem PT55 Tripod’s body is constructed out of aluminum, this means that not only is the tripod lightweight and easy to transport, it is also capable of carrying heavy things on it. This means that not only can it support a camera, it can also support the accessories such as a microphone or even heavier DSLR cameras. It can also work well paired with smartphones, projectors, and more.
As a cherry on the top, the maximum height the tripod can be extended to is 56 inches with the minimum being 19 inches. This makes this tripod the perfect accompaniment for when shooting in the wild.
· Lightweight; weighing in at 2.6 pounds
· High load capacity of 11 pounds
· Aesthetic look
· Easy height adjustment system
· Quick release plate with a mounting screw
· Rubber pads on the bottom allow for easy grip in harsh conditions as well
· Anti-slip mechanism
· 360-degree rotation possible
· Does not come with a bag to carry it in
Neewer Carbon Fiber Tripod
A well-known name in the community, Neewer always provides products of quality at astonishing prices. This carbon fiber tripod costs less than a hundred dollars which makes it almost unbelievable given how good of a tripod this is.
This carbon fiber tripod touts a maximum extension height of 169 centimeters and a minimum height of 59 centimeters and weighs 1.52 kg making it easy to transport. Despite being lightweight, the Neewer tripod can hold up to 12kg on the head. The tripod legs can easily be undone by unlocking the three twisting locks present on them. This helps transform the tripod into a hand-help grip as on when required.
The now transformed monopod has the ability to be extended up to 143 centimeters with a basal height of 54 centimeters. The grip on this tripod is outstanding, not only does it have rubber grips on the bottom of the legs, you can remove them to find spikes that help gain traction on grass, ice, and other such harsh surfaces.
· Ball head type tripod
· Baseplate that can be locked
· Bubble level attachments
· 360-degree rotation system
· Facility to pan and tilt
· Fluid movement
· Rubber grip
· Knob to adjust the resistance while panning for a shot
· Bag to carry the tripod in is not given
ZOMEI Carbon Fibre Tripod
Considered to be the best carbon fiber tripod out there, the ZOMEI Z699C is affordable while also having a unique style and an array of eye-catching features. Weighing a mere 1.4kg, this lightweight tripod can be carried along while on the go to shoot the mountains and to film the valley.
As it is made out of carbon fiber, this allows the manufacturer to stuff a load of features and capabilities while not having to worry about the end result being too heavy to be portable. The legs of the tripod can be set up in three different stages and the tripod produces a noise to indicate these stages giving it a very stable feel to it.
The tripod is stable and secure which guarantees less damage to your camera. It features twisting locks that have a two-stage process of unlocking them. Apart from this, the tripod also consists of a carrying handle that can easily be removed when not in use.
The cherry on the top for this ZOMEI Z699C Carbon Fibre Tripod is the amount of weight it can handle. Despite weighing considerably less, the tripod can handle up to 15kg of weight on top of it; this equates to a camera setup with the camera lens and a flash which is the heaviest set-up among all others.
· Vibration reduction due to the tripod being constructed of carbon fiber
· Robust ball head construction
· Fluid movement of the head
· Side knobs to adjust the traction
· Locking mechanism is built-in
· Ability to pan and tilt with ease
· Bubble level is built-in
· Maximum extension height of 60 inches
· The locks have a rubber covering
MeFOTO Roadtrip Tripod
Being the best-selling tripod out of all the brilliant tripods MeFOTO has to offer, the range of colors this tripod is available in has made it an instant hit with both professional and amateur photographers. The MeFOTO Classic Aluminium Roadtrip tripod is available in colors of red, purple, orange, blue, green, and more.
The maximum extension height of the MeFOTO tripod is 87 inches but when converted into a monopod this falls down to 64 inches. The legs can be folded by 180 degrees giving it a compact size of 15 inches. The tripod weighs a mere 1.6kg and is made up of aluminum. The tripod comes along with a warranty of five years and it is made to last.
· Converts into a monopod
· Quality bag to carry the tripod in
· Ball head in the Q series
· Arca-Swiss type plate that releases quickly
· 360-degree rotation system
· Built-in bubble levels
· Five legs with extendable sections
· Locking system present
a. Why do I need a tripod?
Ans. Although there is a lot that can be achieved with a camera alone, there are certain accessories one can obtain in order to step up one’s photography game. One such accessory is the tripod. Tripods are wonderful for when you want to shoot a long exposure shot or film for long periods. Apart from that, they give stability, eliminating the blurry aspect from pictures.
b. What do I look for in a tripod?
Ans. Although the needs of each individual differ, here are some basic features to keep an eye out for when considering a tripod. The first criteria to look for is the weight of the tripod as it may affect its portability and overall performance. Later comes the amount of weight the tripod itself can support along with the maximum extension height the tripod can reach.
A 360-degree rotational system, easy detachment, monopod transformation, and locking system are some other things to look for in a good tripod for your Sony camera.
c. How much does a standard tripod cost?
Ans. Although you can get an affordable tripod for as little as $30 on Amazon, it is recommended to invest a basic $150 on a starter tripod kit.
In today’s day and age, it is easy to get high-quality, feature-packed tripods for a discounted rate or even a tripod with the same qualities and some more for a much higher rate. But it is always best to first establish a budget and then look into a tripod that meets the budget while also having commendable features.
d. What material is best for a tripod?
Ans. You will find tripods made primarily of three materials; plastic, aluminum, and carbon fiber. You may even find an aluminum-constructed tripod that consists of plastic components to make it weigh less. Plastic is not necessarily bad as long as it is ABS plastic.
On the other hand, if you are someone who prioritizes weight and portability, carbon fiber tripods may be the answer for you. Carbon fiber allows manufacturers to pack in features into a tripod without having to worry about it being too heavy for transit.
e. Which tripod is most suitable for my camera?
Ans. While almost all tripods can be paired with a camera, the thing to look out for is the weight. The amount of weight a tripod can support is crucial because if your camera weighs more than what the tripod can handle then the chances of the tripod collapsing and causing heavy damage to the camera are high.
Tripods are an excellent gateway to explore different styles of shooting and to even make more creative content on the whole. Hopefully, this list of potential tripods for your Sony camera is a gentle nudge in the right direction.