As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Canon EOS 70D is one of the favorite DSLR cameras of photographers. Although the camera has a cropped sensor, the 20.2MP CMOS running with the DIGIC 5+ image processor makes a great combination and contributes to the incredible performance of the camera. However, you will still need the best telephoto lens for Canon 70D to get the best images and videos.
Amateurs and professionals use the camera so they can shoot high quality images and clear 1080p videos. To further improve the capabilities of the DSLR camera, it is best to get a lens compatible with the Canon 70D.
- Our Telephoto Lens for Canon 70D Reviews
- Features to Consider in Telephoto Lenses for Canon 70D
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Telephoto Lens for Canon 70D Reviews
Although telephoto lenses are not an important piece of equipment for all photographers, they can make the difference in certain photographic disciplines. Having a good telephoto lens ready when you need it can be a game-changer and it can even help elevate your photographs to another level.
Below, we’ve gathered the best telephoto lens for your Canon 70D camera.
Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6
The Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E is an incredible telephoto lens that allows you to capture amazing pictures of landmarks, animals, athletes, performers, and other subjects that are a couple of feet away.
The lens is equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm feature that works in unison so you won’t miss a second when you capture fast moving subjects like athletes or animals running.
The said feature can change the subject’s fast movements into a clear photo sequence. This is a feature that the Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G does not have.
With a built-in image stabilization system, you can keep the images clear and sharp even when you move around. The feature prevents blurs and distortion from showing on your pictures.
With Extra-Low Dispersion or ED elements, it can evenly distribute colors on the pictures and it can minimize the effects of intense light. It also has a silent autofocus system that focuses on the subject fast without producing any noise.
However, its f/5.6 aperture is too narrow, and it can’t be used for nighttime photoshoots or filming in poorly lit areas because it will cause blurs and patches.
Also, it is pretty heavy. The telephoto lens weighs 5.07 pounds, so it can be challenging to carry it with you. It can also be tiring to use for hours. Unlike the NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 that only weighs 1.26 pounds.
- The lens has a silent autofocus feature that lets you zoom in on the subject discreetly. This can help prevent distraction while doing photoshoots.
- The stabilization feature can help steady the lens when the camera shakes, removing the need of a tripod. It also eliminates distortion caused by an unstable camera.
- Has an Extra-Low Dispersion element that filters the light to remove ghosting, flares and uneven colors in pictures.
- The telephoto lens is heavy so it can be difficult to carry. Not suitable for those who travel a lot.
- The aperture of f/5.6 is too narrow that it can’t get enough light through if used in a low light environment.
- Compact super telephoto zoom lens for birding, wildlife, motorsports, events and more
- 500 millimeter of zoom power on fx format DSLR; 750 millimeter equivalent on dx format DSLRs,...
- Fast f/5.6 constant aperture for beautiful out of focus backgrounds and low light performance
Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G
The Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G can deliver gorgeous pictures and they appear clear and sharp throughout the 24mm to 120mm focal length range.
The lens has a stabilization feature that can minimize the effects of unstable camera movements. It can also keep your photos crisp while the camera is carried around or is handheld.
You also won’t have to worry about blurs and distortion that ruins images because the lens has a special glass element. The lens has a Nano Crystal Coat that can minimize the appearance of unwanted elements and it is consistent in any focal length.
The Extra-Low Dispersion elements prevent the appearance of chromatic aberration and this applies to any focal length or any aperture setting.
The lens is also equipped with fluorine coating, which means that you can easily clean the lens and remove fingerprints and smudges, it helps keep the lens looking brand new. This is a feature that the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 does not have.
The telephoto lens also has a built-in autofocus feature that allows you to focus on the subject silently and zoom in on them discreetly so you don’t startle the subject.
However, it does not have an electromagnetic diaphragm, which means that it can’t turn fast moving subjects into a clear photo sequence, unlike the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6.
Also, the telephoto lens is not sealed from external elements and it is not waterproof. It is best to cover it when it is not in use and it needs to be cleaned frequently to prevent the accumulation of dirt, dust, and moisture.
- The stabilization feature lets you do handheld shooting, and the pictures remain clear even when there are movements.
- It comes with special elements like Nano Crystals and Extra-Low Dispersion that prevent the appearance of flares, ghosting, and chromatic aberration.
- The autofocus feature is silent so you can focus on the subject discreetly.
- The lens does not have a photo sequence feature, so you can combine fast movements that you’ve captured.
- It is not waterproof and not sealed from elements.
- Compact and versatile 5x standard zoom lens with f/4 maximum aperture
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.24x.Focal Length Range : 24 to 120 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance...
- Extended range on Nikon DX format DSLR cameras
NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3
The NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 is versatile and it can capture all of the subjects that you encounter. It is great for street photography, landscapes, wildlife, architecture, nature photography and more.
The lens measures 4.49 x 3.01 x 3.01 inches and weighs 1.26 pounds, making it lighter than the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6. It also has a fast and silent autofocus system that prevents you from disturbing your subject while you capture their images. The lens’ zoom ring is rubberized, so it is easy to hold and operate.
The telephoto lens has special elements like Extra-Low Dispersion and ARNEO fluorine coat. It can prevent the appearance of ghosting, flares, blurs, distortion, and chromatic aberration on photos and videos.
However, it is not sealed from the weather and other external elements, unlike the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6. This means that you can’t use it outside during harsh weather conditions because it can affect the overall quality of the lens.
Finally, the aperture of f/6.3 is too narrow to use in low light conditions; it will only result in blurry images, although its minimum aperture of f/4 is enough to use in poorly lit environments.
- The fast and silent autofocus system can capture pictures accurately and it won’t create any noise.
- The special glass elements make sure that the pictures are all clear.
- The image stabilization system prevents the effects of a shaky camera from appearing on your pictures and videos.
- The f/6.3 maximum aperture is narrow and can’t be used at poorly lit areas.
- The lens is not sealed from external elements like dust, dirt, and water droplets.
- Lens features Nikon technologies including Aspherical Lens Elements, ED Glass Elements, ARNEO Coat...
- Lens features built-in Vibration Reduction image stabilization
- The customizable, clickless control ring offers quick and quiet access to most used camera settings
Nikon 18-300mm f.3.5-6.3 VR
The Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 VR is a telephoto lens that has an incredible spectrum of focal lengths that you won’t even have to change lenses anymore.
The lens is great with Canon 70D, and it is ideal for those who travel a lot and those who want to take pictures at events. It is versatile and has a very solid build, it is also reliable and convenient to use.
The telephoto lens measures 3.9 x 3.11 x 3.11 inches and weighs 1.21 pounds, making it lighter than the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6. The barrel is covered with polycarbonate so it does not crack if you accidentally drop it. The manual focus and zoom ring is covered with a textured finish.
The lens is equipped with a Silent Wave Motor feature that allows you to focus on the subject quickly and silently. The glass elements and special elements like Aspherical glass and Extra-Low Dispersion are great for color contrast and prevent flares on images.
The 7-blade diaphragm can create an aesthetically pleasing blur in the background of the picture. It also has Internal Focusing for a compact design, and it is equipped with a stabilization feature so all of your images are clear even if you carry the camera around, which is a feature that the NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 does not have.
However, its maximum aperture of f/6.3 is not great for low light areas because of its narrow aperture. Also, when the focal length is at 300mm, there is some softness around the edges that are visible.
- The lens has a textured finish and is covered in polycarbonate for protection.
- It has stabilization that prevents blurs due to shaky camera.
- The Silent Wave Motor has a fast autofocus system.
- The narrow aperture of f/6.3 is not ideal for low light areas.
- The edges become soft when you use the maximum focal length.
- Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Auto Focus-S DX Nikkor Lens
- B+W 67mm XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm F2.8G ED VR
The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm F2.8G ED VR has an incredible performance that allows you to enjoy the features and capabilities of the Canon 70D DSLR camera.
The telephoto lens measures 10.53 x 4.25 x 4.25 inches and weighs 5.07 pounds, which makes it heavier than the NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 that only weighs 1.26 pounds.
The maximum aperture of f/5.6 allows your images to develop a great out-of-focus background. It has aspherical glass elements and integrated coating that can help minimize the appearance of ghosting, flares and distortion for clear and sharp pictures with even color contrast.
The lens is equipped with a Silent Wave Motor that makes the autofocus system silent, accurate, and fast, so you do not have to worry about any motor noise making it into your videos. The feature is great for those who wish to take pictures of subjects at events because it does not disturb them while you zoom in.
The telephoto lens also has a stabilization feature that can keep all of your pictures clear even when the camera moves while you are taking pictures or filming videos.
However, the lens is not sealed from the weather or other elements, unlike the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6. You need to cover it up especially when you are using it outside. Also, when you use the 200m focal length, there is a slight blur that appears on the images.
- The lens is equipped with aspherical glass elements that prevents unwanted events to show up in your pictures.
- The Silent Wave Motor feature allows you to silently focus on your subject.
- The stabilization capability allows the images to remain clear while you use the camera handheld.
- The 200m focal length shows slight blur on the images.
- The telephoto lens is not sealed from elements.
- FX format compatible. Mount Type Nikon F Bayonet
- Focuses as close as 5.7 feet during AF operation
- Vibration Reduction
Features to Consider in Telephoto Lenses for Canon 70D
For most photographers and videographers, a telephoto lens is going to be one of the most important lenses in their kit. It is the lens that is going to be used if you wish to take pictures of events, wildlife, nature, landscapes, and subjects that are far.
Although there are a lot of telephoto lenses from different brands that you can choose from in the market, there are features that you need to make sure are present so you can purchase the right one for you and you can make every shot count.
|Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6||5.07||Yes||Yes|
|Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G||1.57||No||No|
|NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3||1.26||No||Yes|
|Nikon 18-300mm f.3.5-6.3 VR||1.56||Yes||Yes|
|Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm F2.8G ED VR||1.21||No||Yes|
Photographers often travel to find great subjects to take pictures of. Because of this, a light and compact lens is very handy. When looking for a telephoto lens, you need to consider its weight especially if you have plans of bringing it with you for hours. Although features are important, your comfort during the whole photoshoot should also be considered because it contributes to how well your performance will be.
On the list of telephoto lenses for a Canon 70D camera, the Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G , NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3, Nikon 18-300mm f.3.5-6.3 VR and Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm F2.8G ED VR.
Since most photography happens outdoors, it is important that your telephoto lens is sealed from external elements such as water droplets, dust, dirt, and more in order to keep the quality of the lens and to prolong its life. A weather-sealed lens can be used in any weather condition, and you won’t have to worry about your lens malfunctioning while you are using it.
With a weather-sealed lens, you can confidently bring it anywhere you go. You also won’t have to cover it up frequently, and you are assured that moisture does not build up inside. For weather-sealed lenses, you can get the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 or the Nikon 18-300mm f.3.5-6.3 VR.
Doing handheld photoshoots often result in distorted or blurry images because a shaky camera affects the outcome of the pictures. Luckily, there is a feature called image stabilization that can correct that. With this feature in your lens, you can take pictures and film videos without using your tripod or your stabilizer. It stabilizes the lens from within so when you move around, the focus remains on the subject.
The image stabilization feature is useful in ensuring that your pictures always come out as sharp and clear, even if you run around to change the subject. On our list, the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3, Nikon 18-300mm f.3.5-6.3 VR and Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm F2.8G ED VR are equipped with this.
Moreover, this NIKON NIKKOR Z 24-200mm f/4-6.3 is also one the best lenses for Nikon D5600.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Makes a Telephoto Lens Different From a Zoom Lens?
The difference between a telephoto lens and zoom lens is that a zoom lens has a variable focal length and it is used for different genres of photography. Meanwhile, a telephoto lens has a fixed focal length that is greater than 50mm and it is also used for static photography.
Also, zoom lenses allow for the focal length to focus on subjects from different distances without having to change lenses. Meanwhile, telephoto lenses are compact yet keep the same focal length. A telephoto lens is usually greater than 60mm for its focal length, while a zoom lens goes from 200mm to 400mm.
What is the Difference Between a Telephoto Lens and a Wide-Angle Lens?
A wide-angle lens has a shorter focal length compared to a regular lens. The short focal length is used for wide lenses so that the camera shot has an expanded horizontal scope. With this type of lens, subjects are closer to the camera and they appear larger. It also keeps everything in focus unless the subject is too close to the lens.
Meanwhile, the telephoto lens has a higher focal length and it is used to show subjects that are far away. The perspective is accurate and the detail is more precise.
Telephoto lenses can redefine the limitations of photography. They allow you to zoom in on your subject even if they are a few feet away. They also let you capture subjects that are otherwise difficult to capture. It is a versatile piece of equipment that lets you expand to different genres easily.