As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Sony A7SII is a great DSLR camera that is well suited for professional photographers who are looking for ways to work on their skills and capture new subjects.
With its incredible capability of creating high-resolution images and videos that are of high definition quality, you will need to pair it up with an equally powerful and capable SD card so you can store all of your data securely without having to worry about its quality. The best SD card for Sony A7SII can keep hundreds of images and videos in their respective formats.
- Our Top Sony A7SII SD Card Reviews
- Best Overall SD Card for Sony A7SII: Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card
- Best Sony A7SII SD Card for the Money: SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card
- Best Cheap SD Card for Sony A7SII: PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC
- Best Professional SD Card for Sony A7SII: Sony TOUGH-G SDXC UHS-II
- Best High Endurance SD Card for Sony A7SII: Gigastone 16GB MLC Micro SD Card
- Features to Consider in the Best SD Card for Sony A7SII
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Sony A7SII SD Card Reviews
An SD card that is made out of the highest quality is an important accessory for your Sony A7SII DSLR camera. All of your photos and your videos can be stored in it, as it can ensure that none of your files go corrupt and you won’t lose any content.
The best SD card for Sony A7SII can store hundreds of files, can write and read files in a swift manner, does not distort your files, does not lag when you open your files, and it lets you transfer all of your files to your laptop, computer, or other device easily.
Best Overall SD Card for Sony A7SII: Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card
The Lexar 64GB SD Card is created to cater to the storage needs of videographers and photographers, may they be a beginner, a hobbyist, or a professional. It has a read speed of 160MB, which means you will not have to wait for minutes just to get your data moved to your computer or laptop.
The SD card measures 4 x 0.51 x 5.5 inches and it weighs only 0.003 ounces. It can capture and store high quality images and hours worth of Full HD videos up to 1080p. The SD card also supports a specification called Video Performance Guarantee that lets the video that you save to keep its clear quality and it prevents issues or glitches that could change the overall quality.
The SD card is equipped with a quick card-to-computer transfer speed that makes your workflow faster and more efficient. You can also get back to your photo shoot faster as you no longer have to wait a couple of minutes till your file gets transferred to your device.
However, the SD card is not equipped with a feature called Write Protection Switch unlike the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card. It is used to lock it in order to prevent your images and videos from being deleted by accident.
Also, the card is not sealed from external elements like water, and it is also not protected against extreme temperatures unlike the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card. If the SD card is dropped accidentally, exposed in hot or cold conditions or exposed to water, it could stop working.
- Comes with a Video Performance Guarantee capability for high definition films.
- Fast file transfer rate.
- Fast read speed.
- No Write Protection Switch to protect files from getting accidentally deleted.
- Not shockproof, temperature proof, and waterproof.
- High speed performance—leverages UDMA 7 technology to deliver a read transfer speed up to 1066x...
- High-speed file transfer to dramatically accelerate workflow
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080p Full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a...
Best Sony A7SII SD Card for the Money: SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card
The SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card allows you to capture and store high-resolution pictures and 4K UHD films. It also has a shot speed of 70MB, so you can take photos and videos without having to wait for minutes.
The SD card measures 0.09 x 0.94 x 1.26 inches and it weighs 0.059 ounces. It has a massive capacity of up to 128GB, which means you can store up to thousands worth of 4K and Full high-definition videos and thousands of high-quality photos. The Ultra High Speed, also known as UHD features is under Class 3, which allows you to take continuous shots via burst mode, so you won’t miss a single second.
The SanDisk SDXC card has a Write Protection Switch feature, one that the Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card does not have. You can get your files back if ever you accidentally delete them while you’re transferring them.
The SD card is waterproof, it can withstand shocks when dropped and it can withstand extreme temperatures. Rest assured that all of your files inside the card are safe no matter what happens, unlike the Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB SD Card that is not sealed from elements.
Unfortunately, both the read and write speed is slow, which means you will have to wait a couple of seconds before you can open your files and transfer them to another device. Also, its 150MB transfer speed is also slow, so it will also take time before you can move your files to your computer or to your laptop.
- The massive 128GB storage capacity can store thousands of files.
- The Write Protection Switch feature secures you files from accidental deletion.
- The Class 3 speed lets you film videos without glitches.
- Both the read speed and the write speed is slow, so opening files can take time.
- The 150MB transfer speed is slow, so transferring thousands of files will also take some time.
- Shot speeds up to 70MB/s, transfer speeds up to 150MB/s requires compatible devices capable of...
- Perfect for shooting 4K UHD video (1) and sequential burst mode photography. (1)Full HD (1920x1080)...
- Capture uninterrupted video with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30) (2) |...
Best Cheap SD Card for Sony A7SII: PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC
The PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC can store up to 14 hours of high-definition films and hundreds of clear photos. It is a great SD card for videographers and photographers who want to keep the professional quality of their files. It can also keep the original quality of sports videos and other fast action shots.
The SD card measures 0.08 x 1.25 x 0.94 and it weighs 0.05 ounces. It has a very fast write and read speed, unlike the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card. This means that you won’t have to wait for a couple of seconds before you can open your files successfully, especially when it is already transferred to another device. The storage capacity of the SD card is 64GB which can store up to 23,000 high-quality images.
You also won’t have to worry about your SD card being exposed in water, extreme conditions, and other elements because it is waterproof, shockproof, temperature proof and sealed properly, which means all of your contents are secure and safe.
However, the SD card is not equipped with the Write Protection Switch feature, a feature that the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card has. This means that it would be challenging to get deleted files back. Also, the transfer speed is too slow as it can also go for 95MB per second.
- The write speed and the read speed are both fast, so you can open your files instantly.
- The SD card can store hours of videos and thousands of images without changing the quality.
- It is sealed and secured from water, elements and extreme temperatures.
- The SD card does not have the Write Protection Switch, which means if you accidentally delete a file, you won’t be able to recover it anymore.
- The 95MB transfer speed is a bit slow, which means it takes seconds for your files to be transferred especially if it is heavy.
- Sequential read speed of up to 100MB/s
- Class 10, U1 rating delivers speed and performance for full HD photography and HD videography
- V10 video speed rating to capture uninterrupted HD video at 1920x1080 format
Best Professional SD Card for Sony A7SII: Sony TOUGH-G SDXC UHS-II
The Sony TOUCH-G series SDXC UHS-II is solid and sturdy, thanks to its monolithic construction. It also has touch specs and is made of high quality materials which improves its overall bend strength. It is 18x stronger than a regular SD card.
The SD card has a casing that is sealed, which means that no water, dust or dirt can seep in and affect the performance and quality of the memory card. All of your files are secure no matter what.
The card can even last three days under 15 feet of water and it does not accumulate dust inside. Since it is ribless, it does not break easily when you drop it. It also has a Write Protection Switch feature that ensures your files are secure and you won’t lose it even if you accidentally delete it. It also protects your files from getting compromised. This is a feature that the PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC does not have.
The card has a very fast file transfer of 300MB per second and it has a write speed of 299MB per second. Its fast write speed is created for 4K videos and continuous shooting.
However, unlike the PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC, it overheats very fast. This means that you will need to give it a break every couple of hours so it will cool down or else it may affect the performance.
Also, there are formatting issues if the device that you transfer the files to does not support the speed of the SD card.
- Sealed from external elements, and can survive three days under 15 feet of water.
- Since it is ribless, it does not crack or break when it is dropped.
- Since it overheats, you make sure it cools down from time to time to prevent the performance from getting affected.
- Formatting issues may happen of the laptop of PC does not support the speed of the card.
- Tough specs: world's first one-piece molded construction with high hardness materials have resulted...
- Ribless, no write protection switch design: world's first ribless, no write protection switch...
- Fast file transfer: up to 300 MB/s transfer speed and up to 299MB/s write speed 3. Uhs-ii, Class 10,...
Best High Endurance SD Card for Sony A7SII: Gigastone 16GB MLC Micro SD Card
The Gigastone 16GB MLC Micro SD Card is a high endurance SD card created for DSLR cameras, mirrorless cameras, camcorders and more. The lifespan of this can is 10 times longer compared to a normal SD card. Also, the card can endure up to 4 hours a day of storing files and it can keep the 4K quality of videos and high resolution quality of photos.
The SD card has a read speed of up to 95MB per second and a write speed of up to 30MB per second. It has an Ultra high definition display and record support so your videos will not come out distorted or blurry.
When it comes to compatibility, the SD card can be used in almost any device, not just cameras. You can also use it on your drone, dash cam, security camera, camcorder, surveillance camera, and other devices that need a memory card. It comes with 5 different adapters and 5 mini cases so it can work anywhere.
You also don’t have to worry about dropping it or exposing it to elements or extreme temperatures. The SD card is shockproof, temperature-proof and weather-sealed. This is a feature that the Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card does not have. If you do need to have your SD card replaced, you can do so anytime because it comes with a 2-year warranty.
However, its storage space isn’t as massive as that of the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card as it only has a storage space of 16GB. This means that it can only store a limited number of photos and videos because it becomes full.
Also, it does not have a Write Protection Switch feature that prevents your files from getting deleted permanently. The Write Protection Switch lets you recover any file that has been accidentally deleted. It is a feature that the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card has.
- Compatible with almost any device, not just DSLR cameras.
- Is shockproof and weather sealed.
- Keeps the quality of your pictures and videos.
- No Write Protection Switch feature that helps retrieve your files.
- Only has 16GB of storage which is small compared to the other SD cards on the list.
- [High Endurance] Designed for Dash Cam and Home Security Camera. Lifespan of Gigastone MLC High...
- [Ultra HD Support] Read/Write speed up to 95/30 MB/s, Ultra HD video displaying/recording supported.
- [Compatibility] Enabling repeatedly video recording, with great compatibility for the application in...
Features to Consider in the Best SD Card for Sony A7SII
The Sony A7SII is a DSLR camera known to deliver incredible images and high definition videos. It only makes sense that it gets paired up with an equally incredible SD card that can store all of these files without compromising the quality, causing glitches or distorting them.
The best SD card for Sony A7SII has all of the specs and features needed for a worry-free photography and videography experience. From the Write Protection Switch feature, weather-sealed feature and fast transfer, write, and read speeds, below are the things worth looking for in an SD card before you purchase one for your camera.
|Write Protection Switch||Weather-Sealed||Transfer Speed|
|Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card||No||No||160MB|
|SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card||Yes||Yes||150MB|
|PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC||No||Yes||95MB|
|Sony TOUGH-G SDXC UHS-II||Yes||Yes||150MB|
|Gigastone 16GB MLC Micro SD Card||No||Yes||150MB|
Write Protection Switch Feature
The Write Protection Switch is a unique feature that is important in SD cards. There are instances wherein files are accidentally deleted, and this often happens when you transfer your pictures and videos from one device to another. The Write Protection Switch is the feature that helps you recover them.
With the Write Protection Switch feature, you are assured that your files are not lost forever and your hard work is taken for granted. The feature does not only retrieve deleted files, it also ensures that the quality stays the same. With this feature, you can confidently transfer your files.
The SD cards on the list that have this feature are SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card and the Sony TOUGH-G SDXC UHS-II.
Although SD cards are kept inside a device, it is still better to get one that is sealed from external elements and one that is shockproof and temperature-proof. Accidents do happen, and there are instances wherein you may drop the SD card or you may do a photoshoot outdoors that may expose the SD card in water and other temperatures.
If the SD card is sealed, then it means all of your files are safe and secured. You won’t have to worry about it getting corrupt. It will still work even if it does get wet in the rain.
On the list, the SD cards that are sealed from the weather and other elements are SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card, PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC, Sony TOUGH-G SDXC UHS-II and Gigastone 16GB MLC Micro SD Card.
As a photographer or videographer, being able to transfer your files as fast as possible is very important. It allows you to work on your materials at a quicker pace and it also lets you have more room for new pictures and videos. The transfer speed of the SD card is not just about how fast the files are transferred to your computer or laptop, it is also the ability to keep the quality of your photos and videos while you do so.
On the list the SD card that has the fastest transfer speed is Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card with 160MB per second.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Write Protection Switch Feature Always On?
The Write Protection Switch feature can be turned off and on whenever you wish. All you need to do is to slide the lock switch that can be seen at the bottom part of the SD card.
Gently slide the lock towards the gold connectors and it will turn off the feature so you can permanently delete the files in your card. Without the feature, you won’t be able to recover your pictures of videos anymore after they are deleted.
What Makes SDHC Different From SDXC?
The difference between SDHC cards and SDXC cards is that the former are known as high-capacity SD cards that can store files from 2GB up to 32GB.
Meanwhile, the SDXC cards are known as SD cards with extended capacity and it can store files from 32GB up to 2TB maximum. The SDXC cards are often used by traveler and professional photographers because it allows them to store thousands of high quality pictures and videos without having to worry much about space.
Selecting the best SD card for Sony A7SIII is not all about searching for the card with the biggest storage or the fastest speed. Even though the speed and storage are great indicators of its capacity as an SD card, there are other things that you need to keep a close eye on.
The technique in choosing the best SD card for your Sony A7SIII is knowing what features you need and what capacity and specs are enough to help you in your journey, so you can store every important captured moment in your device.