If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
The Canon 80D is an excellent DSLR camera ideal for dedicated photographers looking for new ways to hone their photography skills.
With its impressive capability of producing high-resolution images and Full HD 1080p videos, you will need an equally powerful SD card to store all of your photos safely and securely without having to sacrifice their quality. The best SD card for Canon 80D can keep hundreds of pictures and videos in their original format.
- Our Top Canon 80D SD Card Reviews
- Features to Consider in SD Card for Canon 80D
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Canon 80D SD Card Reviews
A high-quality SD card is a vital accessory for your Canon 80D camera. All of your pictures and videos are stored on the SD card, so you want to make sure that it does not go corrupt, or you will lose all of your contents.
The best SD card for Canon 80D can read and write files fast, does not lag, and allows you to transfer contents to your computer or laptop easily.
Best Overall SD Card for Canon 80D: Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card
The Lexar Professional 64GB SD Card is built to address the storage needs of photographers and videographers. It can deliver a read transfer speed of up to 160MB per second, so you won’t have to wait long while your contents are transferred to another device.
The Lexar 64GB SD card measures 4 x 0.51 x 5.5 inches and weighs 0.003 ounces, making it lighter than the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card and the PNY 64GB Elite Performance Class.
The SD card captures high-quality shots and hours of 1080p Full HD videos, and it also supports the Video Performance Guarantee specification, which makes sure that the video that you save does not have any glitches or any issues that could ruin the quality of the video.
The SD card also has a fast card-to-computer file transfer that speeds up your workflow. It can help save you time so you can get back to taking pictures and reshooting videos.
Unfortunately, it does not have a Write Protection Switch feature often used to lock the SD card to prevent any files from being accidentally deleted.
Also, it is not waterproof, temperature proof, or shockproof, unlike the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card. This means that if the card gets exposed to water, extreme hot or cold conditions, or if you accidentally drop it, the card could stop working.
- It is equipped with the Video Performance Guarantee feature that ensures glitch-free videos
- It has a fast card-to-computer file transfer
- The read speed is fast; it can open files of up to 160MB per second
- It does not have a Write Protection Switch feature, so best be careful when deleting files.
- It is not waterproof, shockproof, and temperature proof, so it could get damaged when water gets inside, when it gets dropped or when exposed to extreme temperature.
- High speed performance—leverages UDMA 7 technology to deliver a read transfer speed up to 1066x...
- High-speed file transfer to dramatically accelerate workflow
- Captures high-quality images and extended lengths of stunning 1080p Full-HD, 3D, and 4K video with a...
Best Canon 80D SD Card for the Money: SanDisk 64GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card
The SanDisk 64GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card lets you capture incredible high-resolution images and 4K UHD videos. It has a shot speed of up to 70MB, so you can capture each precious moment without having to wait.
The card measures 0.09 x 0.94 x 1.26 inches and weighs 0.059 ounces, making it a bit heavier than the Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB SD Card.
The SD card has a large maximum capacity of 64GB, so you can store hundreds of 4K and Full HD videos and thousands of high-quality images. Its Ultra High Speed or UHD features fall under Class 3, which means you can capture sequential burst mode shots without missing a second.
The SanDisk SDXC card is equipped with the Write Protection Switch feature, so you can recover your files when you accidentally delete them.
The SD card is built to withstand water, extreme temperatures, and shocks, so you are assured that your contents are safe no matter what the circumstances are. This is a feature that the Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB SD Card does not have.
However, its write and read speed are slow, so it takes time to open your files as soon as it is transferred to a computer or laptop. Also, its transfer speed of 150MB is a bit slow, so it may take a bit of time before all of your files are transferred to another device.
- It has large capacity storage of 64GB
- It has the Write Protection Switch feature that retrieves deleted files
- Its UHD Class 3 speed captures every moment that you film without any glitch
- It has a slow write and read speed
- Its transfer speed of 150MB per second is also slow
- Shot speeds up to 60MB/s, transfer speeds up to 150MB/s requires compatible devices capable of...
- Perfect for shooting 4K UHD video(1) and sequential burst mode photography | (1)Full HD (1920x1080)...
- Capture uninterrupted video with UHS Speed Class 3 (U3) and Video Speed Class 30 (V30)(2) |...
Best Cheap SD Card for Canon 80D: PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC
The PNY 64GB Class 10 U3 SDXC can store 14 hours of high-definition videos and hundreds of high quality images. It is ideal for storing professional-quality videography and photography and can keep the quality of fast action shots like sports videos.
The SD card measures 0.08 x 1.25 x 0.94 inches and weighs 0.05 ounces, making it a few ounces heavier than the Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB SD Card.
The card has a fast write and read speed, so you won’t have to wait long to open your files after you’ve transferred them to your computer or your laptop. With its storage capacity of 64GB, it can store around 22,756 high-quality photos.
You won’t have to worry about putting your SD card in extreme conditions as it is temperature proof, waterproof and shockproof, so all of your contents are safe and secure.
Unfortunately, it does not have a Write Protection Switch feature, unlike the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card, which means it will be difficult to retrieve accidentally deleted files. Also, its transfer speed of 95MB per second is very slow.
- With its fast write and read speed, you won’t have to wait long to open your files
- It can store 14 hours of videos without compromising its quality
- It is shockproof, waterproof, and temperature proof
- It is not equipped with a Write Protection Switch feature, so accidentally deleted files can be difficult to recover
- Its 95MB per second transfer speed is slow.
- Up to 95MB/sec speed for the ultimate transfer rates
- Ideal for High Performance DSLR cameras and HD camcorders, especially for ultra fast action shots,...
- Class 10 UHS-I, U3 performance allows burst-mode shooting, Full HD and 4K Ultra HD video recording
Features to Consider in SD Card for Canon 80D
The Canon 80D can deliver high-quality photos and videos, so it only makes sense to use an excellent SD card to store your files without having to worry about any errors or glitches.
The best SD card for Canon 80D has all of the features you need for a smooth photography experience. From fast write and read speed, Write Protection Switch feature that restores accidentally deleted files to impressive transfer speeds, below are the other things you would want to consider before getting an SD card for your camera.
|Product||Capacity||Write Protection Switch||Transfer Speed|
|Lexar Professional 1066x SD Card||64GB||No||160MB|
|SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card||128GB||Yes||150MB|
|PNY Elite Performance Class 10 U3 SDXC||64GB||No||95MB|
The Canon 80D does not have a built-in storage system, which means every single photo and video that you take will go straight to the SD card that you put inside the camera.
The capacity of an SD card is measured in gigabytes. Most SD cards on the market are 64GB; however, some professional photographers that do frequent photoshoots use 128GB and above so they can store more files.
The capacity of the SD card that you choose will depend on how many files you are going to have to save. On the list, the SD card with the largest capacity is the SanDisk Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card with 128GB.
Write Protection Switch
Some SD cards have the Write Protection Switch feature that prevents any accidental deletion of files. This feature is very useful, especially if you have tons of files saved and want to make sure that all of them are stored safely.
If you are looking for an SD card equipped with the Write Protection Switch feature, you can go for the SanDisk 128GB Extreme SDXC UHS-I Card.
Transfer speed is the amount of time that it takes for the files from your SD card to be switched over to your computer or laptop. To photographers, especially professional ones, it is a very important feature because the transfer process won’t take too much of their time.
If you are particular with the speed of the SD card, you can go for the Lexar Professional 1066x 64GB SD Card, as it has a transfer speed of 160MB per second.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Turn Off the Write Protection Switch Feature on Your SD Card?
You can turn off the Write Protection Switch feature on your SD card by sliding the lock switch located at the bottom of the card.
Slide it towards the gold connectors, and it will automatically disable the feature so you can delete files again.
How are SDHC Cards Different From SDXC Cards?
The difference between SDHC cards and SDXC cards is that SDHC cards are labeled as high-capacity cards that can store files from 2GB and 32GB.
Meanwhile, SDXC cards are labeled as extended capacity and can store files from 32GB up to 2TB.
Choosing the best SD card for Canon 80D is not just about looking for the one with the highest numbers on it. Although high numbers are good indicators of its capacity and speed, there are still other aspects of the SD card that you need to check out.
The key to getting the best SD card for your camera is knowing what you need and knowing which features can help you on your photography journey.