If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
The Canon 5DS R camera offers the highest resolution available in any full-frame SLR. It has a 50.6 megapixel sensor and dual DIGIC 6 processors that ensure clear and crisp images and massive storage space, making it an instant favorite amongst professional photographers.
To match the camera’s features, the best lenses for Canon 5DS R must be able to keep up with these features, but how do you choose the best one for you?
- Our Top Lenses for Canon 5DS R Reviews
- Best Overall Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
- Best Canon 5DS R Lens for the Money: Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
- Best Cheap Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
- Best Standard Zoom Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
- Best Wide Angle Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM
- Features to Consider in Lenses for Canon 5DS R
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Lenses for Canon 5DS R Reviews
The best lenses for Canon 5DS R help expand the possibilities for versatile imaging expression, with its equally impressive resolution and high-quality specs. These are our choices for the best lenses for this fantastic camera, along with some valuable information to help you choose the right one for you.
Best Overall Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is the best zoom lens for a Canon 5DS R camera. It is a sharp lens with a compact design and traditional mechanism, so it is easy to operate and very easy to store when needed.
The Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM measures 7.6 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches and weighs 3.46 pounds, making it heavier than all the lenses on our list.
The lens is equipped with an internal zoom feature, so the barrel does not change its length when you zoom in on your subject. Also, the lens is weather-sealed, so you don’t have to worry about dust and water getting into the lens, a feature that the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM does not have.
With its retractable window, you can adjust the filter without having the need to remove or reverse the lens hood. The lens has an image stabilization feature, so you won’t have to worry about any distortion or unwanted effects that usually appear on images due to a shaky camera.
However, the lens does not have aspherical elements so flaring, ghosting, and chromatic aberration are visible if the lens is not angled correctly. Also, the lens is really heavy, even though it comes with a carrying case, it is not ideal for carrying around your neck or holding onto for hours.
- It has image stabilization for minimum distortion
- It has an internal zoom feature that locks on the subject without changing the size of the lens
- The lens has a retractable window for easy access to the filter
- The lens is heavy, not ideal for carrying around with you
- It does not have aspherical elements that are used to prevent flaring, chromatic aberrations, or flaring on images
- EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 77mm, 21 elements/16 groups
Best Canon 5DS R Lens for the Money: Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
The EF 17-40mm f/4L USM is a standard lens with an impressive aperture of f/4, making it ideal to use in bright conditions. It produces sharp and clear images thanks to its zoom range of 40mm.
The lens measures 3.82 x 3.31 x 3.31 inches and weighs 1.1 pounds. It is lighter than the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, and the EF 24mm f/1.4L II.
The Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM’s ring-type Ultra-Sonic Monitor or USM lets you lock on your subject faster. It produces a beautiful background blur, so it is suited for portrait photography.
The front lens group stays intact when focusing on the subject, so the special filter is not affected. The overall build quality of the lens is great, and it is made of high-quality plastic materials. It can take a beating, thus making it a great companion outdoors.
The front side of the lens does not rotate when focusing on the subject, and the filter effects are not affected. This is a feature that the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is not equipped with.
However, the lens is not weather-sealed. Also, the lens does not have an image stabilization feature, so it is best to use a tripod or a stabilizer to prevent distortion from appearing on the images.
- The lens is light, and it is easy to carry and store
- It is equipped with Ultra-Sonic Monitor for a silent autofocus
- It produces a great background blur for portrait images
- The lens is not weather-sealed
- The lens is not equipped with an image stabilization system, and a slight camera shake can cause distortion
- 17 40 millimeter ultra wide angle zoom lens with f/4 maximum aperture for Canon SLR Cameras....
- 3 aspherical lens elements and super UD glass element create superior optics in all conditions,...
- Powerful ring type ultrasonic monitor (USM) produces fast and silent autofocusing, Focuses as close...
Best Cheap Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is a Canon 5DS R lens that creates such an amazing shallow depth of field. Its impressive aperture of f/1.4 even lets you take great pictures during nighttime.
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM measures 2.01 x 2.91 x 2.91 inches and weighs 10.2 ounces, making it lighter than the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM and Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM .
The autofocus is fast and quiet, and it is equipped with an internal focus motor, a feature that the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM does not have. An internal focus motor lets the lens focus on your subject without having to change length.
The lens has two high-refraction lens elements, and it is also equipped with Gaussian optics, which helps eliminate astigmatism. Because of these features, the lens gets clear and crisp images with a slight flare. It also has an Ultra-Sonic Motor feature or USM for fast focusing.
However, it does not have a hood which is normally used to help improve contrast and minimize flaring. Also, the lens does not have a built-in image stabilization feature, and to help reduce distortion, you can use either a tripod or stabilizer.
- The lens is very light, so it can be carried around easily
- It has an internal focus motor that focuses on the subject immediately
- It is equipped with high-refraction lens elements to help remove astigmatism.
- The lens is not weather-sealed
- The lens has no hood to help with image contrast
- It is not equipped with an image stabilization feature for distortion prevention
- Standard focal length 50 millimeter lens is effective in a multitude of shooting situations and...
- Elements/Groups: 7/6, Diaphragm: Blades 8, Filter Thread: Font 58 millimeter. Minimum focusing...
- An f/1.4 maximum aperture provides clear imaging in low light situations and shallow depth of field
Best Standard Zoom Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is the go-to lens for Canon 5DS R owners. The maximum aperture of f/2.8 stays clear throughout its zoom range, and it has a great optical performance.
The lens measures 4.45 x 3.5 x 3.5 inches and weighs 1.77 pounds, making it heavier than the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM, and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
The toggle switch that changes between autofocus mode and manual focus operates smoothly. The zoom ring of the lens is covered in rubber, so it is comfortable to the touch.
As for its optical lens design, it utilizes 2 UD and 1 Super UD lens elements that can help minimize chromatic aberration, and it can also help reduce color blurring, especially around the edges of the images.
For soft backgrounds, the lens has a 9-blade diaphragm, and it has Ultra-Sonic Motor that ensures fast focusing. It is also weather-sealed, a feature that the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM does not have.
Unfortunately, the lens is not equipped with image stabilization. Also, slight distortion is visible when the focal length of the lens is set to 24mm.
- The lens has a compact design, and it is light; it can be stored easily
- It has a 9-blade diaphragm that helps minimize flaring and chromatic aberration
- It is weather-sealed
- No image stabilization feature, so the images will be affected by the slight shaking of the camera
- The distortion appears at 24mm focal length
- 24 70 millimetre focal length, 38.4 112 millimetre equivalent focal length on Canon APS C cameras
- F2.8 constant maximum aperture; F22 minimum, ring type ultrasonic type AF motor with full time...
- 82 millimetre filters, closest focusing distance: 0.38 meter/1.25 feet
Best Wide Angle Lens for Canon 5DS R: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM
The EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM is built with the same advanced lens technology that the Canon 5DS R has. It exhibits sharpness, and it boasts of an impressive performance in all types of settings.
The lens measures 3.43 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches, and it weighs 1.43 pounds, making it heavier than the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
The EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM has two high-precision aspherical lenses that distribute sharpness across the lens sensors. The elements all have an anti-reflective Sub Wavelength Coating, or SWC that uses a fine structure that can help minimize flaring and ghosting regardless of the angle of the lens or how much light enters.
The lens also has a quiet autofocus feature so you can silently zoom in on your subject. It also has a circular aperture that creates an amazing out-of-focus detail. It is weather-sealed, so dust and water won’t accumulate inside the lens.
The aperture is wide, with a maximum of f/1.4, so it is great for taking pictures in the dark, unlike the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, and the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM that have narrow apertures.
However, the lens does not have an image stabilization feature, and it is best paired with a tripod and stabilizer to help minimize distortion.
- It is equipped with aspherical elements to minimize flaring, ghosting, and chromatic aberration
- The aperture of f/1.4 lets you capture images in low lit areas
- It is weather-sealed
- The lens is not equipped with image stabilization, distortion will appear on images if the camera shakes
- The focal length of 24mm can’t be zoomed further
- Lens not zoomable
- Minimum focus Distance is 0.8ft
- Focal Length -24 mm
Features to Consider in Lenses for Canon 5DS R
The Canon 5DS R is a great SLR camera that deserves an equally great lens. Choosing the best lenses for Canon 5DS R that fits your needs can be overwhelming, as there are features and aspects that you need to consider such as the aperture, the focal length, and the optics.
|Product||Image Stabilization||Internal Zoom||Aperture Range|
|Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM||Yes||Yes||f/4.5|
|Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM||No||No||f/4|
|Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM||No||Yes||f/1.4|
|Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM||No||No||f/2.8|
|Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM||No||No||f/1.4|
Image stabilization is an important feature, especially if you are planning to hold the Canon 5DS R camera in your hands while taking pictures or while filming videos. This feature prevents the development of blurry photos as it corrects the effects of a shaky lens.
The Canon 5DS R is not equipped with image stabilization, and without any lens, the camera should be attached to a tripod or a stabilizer to make sure that the pictures are clear.
Luckily, you don’t have to carry a tripod or a stabilizer with you all the time, all you’ll need is a lens with an image stabilization system to prevent distortion on images while holding the camera.
The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is the lens on the list that is equipped with this feature.
The Canon 5DS R has a built-in silent autofocus system, which means that it does not make any grinding noise when zooming in on your subject. It comes in handy if you need to take discrete pictures of your subjects and don’t want to disturb them.
If you wish to capture images of live subjects such as animals, then this feature is ideal for you. It is best to get a lens that has its own silent autofocus system to make sure that both the camera and the lens do not produce any noise throughout the zooming process.
Internal zoom is a specialty feature, and it is one that is worth having. This feature can zoom on your subject without changing the length of your lens, so it doesn’t affect the overall balance of your camera.
Even though the Canon 5DS R is lightweight and easy to carry, having a lens that does not change its length can keep the center gravity of the camera. This is especially helpful if you need to use a tripod when capturing images or filming videos.
The EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, and the EF 50mm f/1.4 are the lenses on the list with an internal zoom feature.
Although the Canon 5DS R has a built-in wide aperture, pairing it with a lens that also has a wide aperture will ensure that your images are clear even when you take pictures in the dark.
The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM have wide apertures and they can be used to capture images in low light areas.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does USM on Canon Lenses Stand For?
The USM stands for Ultrasonic Motor system. It is the widely used autofocus motor type, and it can change ultrasonic vibration energy to rotational force in order to move the lens. This means that the lens can focus on the subject faster than a standard lens.
USM is the fastest focusing motor that Canon has ever created. It lets you fine-tune the manual focus without the need to switch off the autofocus mode.
Are USM Lenses Different from STM Lenses?
USM lenses are different from STM lenses. The USM or the Ultrasonic Motor is geared towards professional photographers and capturing images, while the STM or the Stepper Motor lean more towards beginners and videography.
Although USM promises silent autofocus, there is still a slight focusing sound that can be heard on the camera’s microphone when you shoot a video. This means that USM is ideal for capturing photos of live subjects; however, it can’t be used for videography, especially if you want to make sure that there is no unnecessary sound included in your video.
Meanwhile, STM produces no sound at all as it was created with video in mind. Even though the focus speed of STM Canon lenses is lower than the focus speed of USM Canon lenses, it is well suited for filming videos as it is completely silent.
High-quality lenses can help you take great pictures, and they can assist you in pursuing the genre of photography that you wish to do. Knowing what you want and the features that you need can narrow down your search for a compatible lens for your Canon 5DS R camera.