If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
The Sony A7RIII is a mirrorless camera that has gained a great reputation among professional photographers and hobbyists. It can produce high-resolution videos and high-quality images thanks to its 42.4MP image sensor and 10fps continuous shooting.
Although the camera does not come with a built-in flash, the best flash for Sony A7RIII can compensate for what it lacks, so there is no limit to what you can achieve.
- Our Top Sony A7RIII Flash Reviews
- Features to Consider in a Flash for Sony A7RIII
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Top Sony A7RIII Flash Reviews
As with other camera accessories, when it comes to the best flash for Sony A7RIII, there are numerous strong contenders, and it could be overwhelming to go through all of them.
To know which of the flashes on the market works best for you and your Sony A7RIII, we’ve reviewed the features, functionality, and reputation of the flashes on the list to determine which of them is the best of the best.
Best Overall Flash for Sony A7RIII: Sony HVL-F28RM
The Sony HVL-F28RM is a light, pocket flash that is easy to use, install, and carry anywhere. It has a built-in 2.4 GHz radio transmission that can trigger multiple camera shutters simultaneously for boundless creativity.
The flash has a guide number of 92, which means its light can reach subjects that are up to 92 feet away from you. This is higher than the Xit XTCF1BRK which has a guide number of 12.
The flash’s head can be tilted up to 120 degrees upwards so the light can bounce on the ceiling to create a beautiful atmosphere. It is also waterproof, dirtproof, dustproof, which means you can use the flash outdoors even if the weather condition is not favorable.
The Sony HVL-F28RM comes with an Advanced Distance Integration or ADI. It is a feature that controls the level of brightness depending on the distance of the subject.
The flash prevents overheating from occurring as it has improved resistance that enables longer shooting sessions.
The metal shoe is stable and durable. It needs four AA batteries for it to work, and its micro-USB port can be used to attach other camera accessories and update the firmware.
However, the recycle time of the flash takes 6.4 seconds and it is too long. Its recycle time is slower than the Sony HVLF20M MI Camera Flash.
Also, the LCD screen on the flash is difficult to see when it is exposed to intense light.
- The flash is lightweight; it is easy to store and carry for hours
- The metal shoe is sturdy; it keeps the flash in place no matter how much movement you make
- It has the Advanced Distance Integration or ADI feature that detects the distance between your camera and your subject to determine how much light must be used.
- The recycle time of 6.4 seconds is not ideal for fast-paced photography
- The LCD screen is not visible in areas that are too bright
- Compact, reliable and made by Sony for flawless flash control
- Ideal Guide Number power for compact mirrorless cameras (GN28)1
- Higher power at close 50mm focal length
Best Sony A7RIII Flash for the Money: Sony HVLF20M External Flash
The Sony HVLF20M MI Camera Flash is packed with amazing features. It is great for the Sony A7RIII and other mirrorless cameras. The flash has a high guide number of 105. This means it can illuminate any subject that is up to 100 feet away.
The head of the flash can be tilted up to 90 degrees, and it can be rotated 90 degrees to 180 degrees horizontally. With its rotating head, you can bounce light in numerous positions when shooting for a beautiful atmosphere.
The flash can also serve as a wireless controller to other flashes so you won’t have to operate them one by one.
Thanks to its waterproof and dustproof feature, you can use the flash outdoors without worrying about water droplets, moisture, or dirt.
The recycle time of the flash is 5 seconds. It is a second faster than the HVL-F28RM flash. The flash needs 2 AA batteries to power it up.
However, the metal shoe mount of the flash is a bit loose, and if you make sudden movements, the flash might fall.
Also, the flash is heavy as it weighs 1.62 pounds. It is a pound heavier than the Xit XTCF1BRK flash. Because of its weight, it can be uncomfortable to carry around the whole day.
- The guide number of 105 is very high, it can cover subjects up to 100 feet.
- The head can be tilted and rotated so you can easily bounce the light for better image quality
- It has a wireless control feature so you can connect it to other flashes, great for using at studios.
- The shoe mount of the flash is not tight, the flash can fall off if it is not readjusted frequently.
- The flash is heavy, and it can be tiring to carry around especially while traveling
- Extends flash range beyond camera's built-in flash
- New Multi Interface shoe for expanded compatibility
- Bounce flash enables shadow less indirect lighting
Best Cheap Flash for Sony A7RIII: Xit XTCF1BRK Flash
The Xit XTCF1BRK Flash is filled with features that ensure a smooth photography session. The Xit XTCF1BRK Flash is small and lightweight. It measures 6.5 x 1.25 x 4.75 inches and weighs 4.8 ounces. It is lighter than the Sony HVLF20M.
The flash can be connected to a commander, so you can adjust the position and the brightness of the device even if you are a few feet away.
The head is equipped with a bounce card feature, which lets you take pictures at any angle. It can also be adjusted 90 degrees vertically, and it can be rotated 180 degrees from left to right.
The recycle time is fast, it just takes 2.5 seconds to get ready for another round. Its recycle time is faster than the Sony HVL-F28RM.
Also, the Xit XTCF1BRK Flash has a sensor detector, so it can tell if you’ve attached filters on your Sony A7RIII’s lenses. It can help create a balanced setting and remove any distortion or shadows on your pictures.
However, its guide number of 12 is very low, and it can only cover subjects that are 10 feet away from you.
Also, it is not waterproof and dustproof, a feature that the Sony HVL-F28RM External Flash and the Sony HVLF20M Flash have. The flash will need frequent cleaning because accumulated dust and moisture will affect the quality of the flash.
- The head can be tilted and rotated vertically and horizontally; you can easily position it at any angle
- The recycling time of 2.5 seconds is fast; you won’t have to wait long to fire another round of flash
- The flash is very light and is great for traveling and outdoor photoshoots
- The flash is not waterproof and dustproof; moisture and dust can build up if not taken care of
- The guide number of 12 is low; the light can only cover subjects that are 10 feet away from the camera
- Great light source for indoor and outdoor photography, use it as a flash or additional light from a...
- Package Dimensions: 5.08 H x 18.796 L x 6.604 W (centimetres)
- Package Weight: 0.136 kilograms
Best P-TTL Flash for Sony A7RIII: Pentax AF201FG Flash
The AF201FG Flash was created for professional photographers. It is a P-TTL flash that can measure the light with the camera’s lens wide open, and it calculates the flash that is needed when the lens is stopped down.
The flash is lighter and more compact than the Sony HVLF20M as it only weighs 4.8 ounces. It is equipped with an Advanced Distance Integration or ADI feature. It can adjust the brightness of the flash depending on how far the subject is. Basically, the feature can help the flash save power.
The head of the flash can be adjusted 90 degrees vertically and 10 degrees horizontally. It lets you bounce the light on the ceiling, walls, and other areas for better aesthetics.
With its waterproof and dustproof body, you can take pictures anywhere, even when faced with extreme weather conditions. This is a feature that the Xit XTCF1BRK Flash does not have.
The flash is powered by two AA batteries, and its guide number of 66 can illuminate objects up to 66 feet away. Its recycle time of 2.5 seconds is also fast, so you won’t have to wait long to use the flash again.
However, its metal shoe mount is loose, and it does not lock properly on the Sony A7RIII. Sudden movements may cause the flash to slip and fall. Also, the text on the LCD screen becomes difficult to read when exposed to brightly lit areas.
- The flash is small and can fit in your pocket; it is also comfortable to use for hours
- It has a P-TTL feature that can measure the intensity of the light needed to illuminate the subject, thus saving power
- It is waterproof and dustproof, ideal for outdoor photoshoots
- The shoe mount is not stable, and the flash could fall if you move around too quickly
- The text on the LCD screen is not visible in brightly lit environments
- Compact, lightweight and portable, ideal for travelling.
- P-TTL flash for quick, accurate exposure.
- Manual operation for user selectivity.
Features to Consider in a Flash for Sony A7RIII
The Sony A7RIII may not have a built-in flash, yet you can still enhance the images and videos that you take by attaching an external flash.
The best flash for Sony A7RIII has all of the features that you need for flash photography, from strong lighting to easy operation. However, some features need to be considered above the rest to ensure amazing results.
|Product||Waterproof||Guide Numbers||Recycle Time|
|Sony HVL-F28RM External Flash||Yes||92||6.4 seconds|
|Sony HVLF20M Flash||Yes||105||5 seconds|
|Xit XTCF1BRK Flash||No||12||2.5 seconds|
|Pentax AF201FG Flash||Yes||66||2.5 seconds|
Whatever genre of photography you do, there will be instances where you will have to go outdoors to get inspiration for your images.
Having a camera that is waterproof and dustproof is not enough. You will also need to make sure that your flash has the same feature so you can keep its quality no matter how many times you use it.
A flash that is waterproof and dustproof can prevent moisture, water droplets, dust and dirt from accumulating, and you can confidently continue with your photoshoot despite unpredictable weather conditions.
The flashes on the list that are waterproof and dustproof are Sony HVL-F28RM External Flash, Sony HVLF20M Flash, and the Pentax AF201FG Flash.
The guide numbers are used to calculate how far the flash’s light can reach. Flashes with high guide numbers can cover farther distances.
The guide number of the flash that you choose will depend on what type of subject you want to take pictures of. Most photographers who take pictures of wildlife and nature choose flashes with high guide numbers.
For example, if the subjects that you want to take pictures of are far, you can get the Sony HVL-F28RM External Flash as it can illuminate subjects that are 92 feet away.
The recycle time of the flash is important for professional photographers, especially when they can’t afford to miss a moment.
The feature represents the amount of time that it takes for the flash to charge back up so you can shoot again. If you don’t wait for the recycle time to finish, all you will get is images with black frames.
Out of all the flashes on the list, the Xit XTCF1BRK and the Pentax AF201FG have the fastest recycle time, as both can charge up in just 2.5 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the TTL Flash the Same as the P-TTL Flash?
The TTL Flash and the P-TTL Flash have the same functionality. The only difference is the acronyms as it represents the different camera brands.
The TTL or “through the lens” is lens metering. It measures the light in a scene; it controls the amount of light coming through the camera’s lens, which can be used for a well-balanced exposure.
What Makes Flash Lighting Different Than Continuous Lighting?
Flash lighting is intermittent light. When you activate the shutter, the flash fires fast, and it lights up your subject. After it is done, it turns itself off.
Meanwhile, continuous lights are lights that can extend for a long period of time. It stays continuously, and it is always on; once you are done, you are the one who needs to turn it off.
The Sony A7RIII is packed with advanced functionalities and features. Attaching a flash can expand your horizon as it lets you practice different styles to enhance your photography skills.
The best flash for Sony A7RIII can give you all the advantages to thrive in the photography industry.
A happy to go Photography geek and an entrepreneur. I like to explore new lenses, cameras and help people with their experience